Sunday, April 22, 2012

String Calculator Kata


Today, I have completed the String Calculator Kata. Below are my notes:

  • It took me three hours to complete.
  • The most time consuming activities involved performing TDD, which the kata description suggested to use, and figuring out how to handle certain regular expressions in Java.
  • Java requires escaping the ']' character, but does not allow the use of the '\' character to do so. Instead, one must use the java.util.regex.Pattern class. This was a necessity for handling both long and multiple delimiters.
  • I was able to DRY up some use cases, while keeping them DAMP.
  • I had trouble employing DRY principles when writing the add() function. It was very unnatural to have to use multiple methods of dealing with regular expressions.

P.S. I would have to say that my level of self-awareness of copying code was III during this kata. Please see what the levels mean in my learning plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment